There are two types of medical certificates, Class 1and Class 2:
- Class 1 is required for professional pilots
- Class 2 is required for PPL (H) license. (As a private pilot one can also demand a class 1 examination)
The first medical exam must be requested at the Belgian Civil Aviation Authority, using the application form for aviation medical certificate.
This initial medical examination class 2 consists of:
- General physical examination
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Eyesight examination
- Examination of nose, throat, ears and hearing level (audiogram)
- Chest X-ray
- Lung function test
- Blood and urine tests
For the subsequent renewal of the medical certificate you can contact an approved medical examiner. The validity of the medical certificate depends on your age.
- Less than 30 years, the validity 60 is months
- From 30 to 49 years, 24 months validity
- From 50 to 64 years, 12 months validity
- From 65, the validity is 6 months
For aspiring professional pilots (medical examination class1), the validity of the medical certificate is as follows:
- Less than 40 years, the validity is12 months
- 40-plus: validity is 6 months.